Thursday, June 18, 2009

Teaching Mr Y

Okay so Mr Y went out and got his Learners Driving Licence. Him, having never driven before I was a little reluctant to take him out. I have only been driving since 2004 myself and though I am a teacher, it appears I might not be as good with adults. I am not quite sure about how I am supposed to teach him but I think we are getting better.

The first time I took him in the car, it was on a public holiday in a deserted carpark. It involved mainly a little gasping (not in the good way), holding on to the dash board and 'umm curb', 'umm pole'. This made him state that he can not possibly drive and look at the same time...I foresee some problems.

The second time I let him drive out onto the side streets. Much better...until he decided that "BRAKE" was not specific enough in directions. I shouted, for the first time...though maybe not my finest point...I was scared and I think that is a good enough defence. This time it did end up in an argument and it seemed we weren't even arguing about the same thing.

The third time...Today.

Much Much Better. We decided on a few code words to remind him to actually look...like 'Check your blind spot honey' became "BS!". I am never allowed to shout apparently even if we are careening towards a fence/curb/dog/person. I am to say calmly that maybe just perhaps he may want to brake. We'll see how that works out.

I have to give credit where it is due. For a person who has never driven before to improve so fast, is amazing. I'm really happy for him, could even say proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment