Sunday, May 3, 2009

How we met

I always get asked how Mr Y and I met. I guess it's because he wasn't born here and until last year, had never been to Australia. They envisage this wild, passionate holiday romance and it really wasn't like that, or maybe in the couple of years of comfortableness I have forgotten.

Surprise, Surprise, it all started on the Internet. We were both in this chat room on www.okcupid.com one night in September (which they have removed now, but the site is still there). He was actually being annoying and generally driving people crazy. Turns out this is his default setting. Something about him though, got my attention. We chatted that first night until 6am and then everyday for the next 3 months.

At the time I was living overseas and was a 'free spirit', or at least behaving like one. Everything I did was rather spontaneous and fun. It seemed perfectly sane travelling to another country to meet him, until I boarded the plane, when it set in that I was about to meet someone that I had only seen on web cam. Obviously, as it turns out, this was the best decision I could have made, insane or not.

Before leaving, I had been talking to Mr Y about how I was disappointed I was missing out on Christmas with my family.
Where I was living at the time, Christmas was seen as a time to put up pretty lights, but life went on as normal and people went to work on Christmas Day. The same could be said about where Mr Y lived but this was so very different from my home. I come from a family, where Christmas had always been a huge part of our lives. Everyone eats until they can't fit anything more in and if you didn't believe in Santa or at least pretend to, you didn't get presents.

As it happened, the only flight available was on Christmas Eve, arriving early Christmas morning. I really didn't need to worry though. I had my Christmas Day. Mr Y met me wearing a Santa hat (he had stolen from a friend of his) and clutching a little Christmas tree. It was the sweetest (yet a little strange) thing anyone had ever done for me. Mr Y has since done many more of these weird, sweet things to cheer me up.

After that first meeting, our lives never really went back to normal. I moved back home after a year overseas and we continued chatting daily. We really had no idea how it was going to work out but we both wanted it to. I swear friends thought I was making him up and couldn't understand why I was turning down dates with others. My mum was worried about me sitting around waiting for someone that might never be able to come to Australia. It wasn't until we started the VISA process that they finally understood how serious we were.

2 years after we met, Mr Y arrived in Australia and everyone was there to see us get married. I wouldn't ever recommend this to anyone, the wait was full of ups and downs, but it worked for us...eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment